Thursday, November 18, 2010

13 months later....

It's amazing what a job change will do to you...
Last October (2009) I quit my full time job at Aetna to pursue a full time job with the long term care company I was working with on the side. Since working at 4 nursing homes around the state requires much travel and go-go-go time, and less sitting in front of a computer time, I totally lost touch with my blog. (my apologies) Recently wonderful hubs gave me my first *Apple laptop so I have no excuse to stray away again!
Ooohhh...WHERE TO START?
The 13 months between my last post and today has brought much change. For starters, from Oct 2009-April 2009 Jeff was in pursuit for Grad school and was accepted into Columbia, UT, and UPENN in April of 2010. In May of 2010 Jeff and I decided UPENN was the best option for us (after many long nights of discussion & prayers)
Little did we know this was not the only decision we had to face:
The next few months were spent trying to decide if I should stay in New Haven or if I should go with Jeff to Philly- why you ask...well, the UPENN Architecture grad program is only 9 months long, and Jeff's employer in CT left an open invite to return after school. Being that I loved my job at the time and finally felt like I was making huge strides in my career, moving away was not #1 on my agenda. BUT, I felt like in order to be led by God I had to pursue every option to the fullest until his plan was revealed, so I did. I stayed 'mum' for 3 months at work- have you ever heard the expression "act like a duck: elegant on the surface, and fighting like hell under the water to stay afloat"- this was me. From May-August I let no one in my immediate world in CT know what was going on behind the scenes, for fear of losing my job. I applied for job after job in Philadelphia, not one equal to my current position. I drove down to Philly 1/2 dozen times to interview....oh my gosh the interviews-- they were brutal! I felt like I was living the biggest lie, going to work with a smile, staying up all night filling out applications and searching for anything that could support us in Philly. Meanwhile, we finally found an apartment in June, it was beautiful, new, and way out of our price range- but we splurged. We never splurge, we had lived so minimally for 4 years we just couldn't help ourselves. OH, to have a washer and dryer again-- AND a garbage disposal!!! I was elated! BUT... 3 months of interviewing, negotiating, compromising the jobs I was offered in Philly were never going to be able to support us for a year. We had to make the tough decision for me to stay in CT while Jeff was in school in Philly, so that we could make it.
So... apartment in Philly for Jeff (check), totally out of our price range (check), where the heck is Missy going to live....that was the next hurdle. With the end of July (and our current lease) nearing I was getting nervous. One morning a friend at work (one of the only people who knew my situation) told me of a women that wanted to rent out a room of her beach house and was pet friendly. It was music to my ears, I still remember the feeling I had when I drove up to her home, and met her, and instantly knew...this is actually going to work. Within a few weeks we moved Jeff to Philly, myself to my new rented room on the ocean and I still to this day have no idea how we got so lucky. God is good. It is not easy living away from your husband of almost 4 years. 'Displaced' is not a big enough word to describe it, but we are making it work and have one hell of a story.
Max and I try to visit almost every weekend and when jeff is able he takes the train up to CT to see us. The best part- Jeff is pursuing his dream, I got to keep my wonderful job and I can say that for a short time in my life, I got to live at the beach (which was my dream).









While there is so much more this is where I'll leave it for now... so glad to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment