Sunday, September 13, 2009

Red, Purple & Blue!

WARNING- If you have a sensitive stomach or get grossed out easily you may not want to read the rest of this blog post

I went in for my nose surgery on Thursday Sept 10th at 11 a.m. Although I was very nervous, my next door neighbor is in CRNA school (nurse anesthetist) at the Hospital in the outpatient surgery dept. She was so sweet and set me up with a really good anesthesiologist and CRNA for my surgery. The nurses the doctors and all of the outpatient staff at St. Raphael’s were so unbelievably amazing and really did everything they could to make me feel comfortable.
The surgery went really well- my surgeon, Dr. Henley, told my mom & Jeff that he had to spent a lot of time ‘cleaning’ up my sinuses; that there were a lot of polyps, cysts and diseased sinus tissue in my nasal cavity. He said he then broke my nose back into place and straightened my septum. gross I know.
I actually woke up from surgery with very little pain. I felt a bit queasy but never actually got sick. We got home, got situated and went through tons of frozen corn bags throughout the next few days to try to keep the swelling down in my face. Because I had an ‘open’ nose surgery and since he had to break it, I knew I was going to be more swollen than most people post-op.
Below are the pictures from the last few days.

Just a sidebar note- yes my matted hair is quiet lovely- no need to be jealous, you too can accomplish this look by not washing your hair for 3 days and having frozen corn melt onto your face- (I seriously don’t know if I’ll ever be able to eat corn again)
The pictures are also very bloody because the doctor had to pack my nose and left me without a ‘mustache drip pad’ –most people get a drip pad which they can change every few hours. But my doctor decided to make a cast, similar to the casts people get when they break there arm. He also used a lot of tape under my nose, so blood just dripped onto my face and got everywhere-Gross.

Surgery Day:

















Day 1: (24 hours post op)















Day 2: (48 hours post op)





















Day 3: (72 hours post op....Today)












I can say that the last few days I did get really panicky, not only because I can only breathe out of my mouth, but I also feel like the swelling just keeps getting worse and I’m afraid my face will never be the same. I’m trying really hard to not let how I look now freak me out.
If I could put into words what it feels like I would say- it feels like the worst sinus infection you could imagine. There is soo much negative pressure in my sinus that ever time I swallow my ears plug up for almost an hour. So there really is no sharp pain involved- just a very frustrating amount of pressure. I get my packing out on Tuesday and have been told there will be immediate relief with that. My mom and Jeff have been such troopers. I seriously could not have gone through this without them. There’s just a feeling of serenity about having your mom near when you go through something like this.
For now I’m praying for comfort on Tuesday when my doctor will have to pull out the packing- and praying that I can withhold from sneezing for now! haha
I will continue to update with pictures.

2 comments:

  1. ohhhh, sweet girl, i remember this too well. let me tell you that the packing coming out makes all the difference in the world. HOWEVER, i will tell you that it feels like you're being turned inside out through your nostrils when the doctor pulls it out :)

    don't panic, miss missy. you'll be more beautiful than ever, AND you'll have a great story to tell!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Missy! Bless your heart!!! I hope the healing process continues to go smoothly and I hope you get some relief on Tuesday when you get the packing out! Will say some prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete