Wednesday, September 16, 2009

5 Senses



WAAWHOOO The packing is OUT! I went to visit my surgeon yesterday to get my packing out and while it was the single most painful experience of my life- I CAN BREATHE PEOPLE!!!! I had no idea what it felt like to have 100% airflow in my nose! It's amazing! My first breath felt like the air went in my nose and straight out the back of my head!
Now, for the gross part- I mean I knew there would be a ton of packing in my nose- but in my mind it was sorta like a 'tampon' up my nose-that would just be pulled out- man was I wrong! My doctor started to pull out the packing and I let out a shrill that was beyond human, and I literally could not stop yelling.
One Word. PAINFUL!!!!!!
My doctor kept saying in a thick accent "Why are you screaming" (which actually sounded like "vveye are yew shcreeming".....My mom and Jeff cannot stop laughing about this now) but I just wanted to slap him and say 'I'm sorry but you're ripping crap out of my head!
Tyler Sowers put it best "it feels like your being pulled inside out by your nose". I mean the doctor just kept pulling and pulling and the packing kept coming! 4 FEET!!!! Yes my mom and Jeff verify that there was at least 4 feet of gauze pulled out of my nostrils, I'm glad I have witnesses because I don't think anyone would believe me.
Apparently, I had so many polyps that they went as far up as my forehead and under my eyes-which is why I had to get packing in the first place. So I'll give you 3 guesses where that packing was shoved! With every tug, I could tell you exactly which socket and bone the packing was touching- SICK.
Okay enough gross stuff. I feel great and I could not be more excited for whats to come.
I did have to get re-taped and still look like a victim of a bar fight but each day the swelling gets better and better.
My upper lip is still numb and my smile looks like a 8 year old's dorky yearbook picture, and it's making for great home videos. I'm sorta convinced Jeff is video taping me in the process to use as black mail later!
I also still cannot smell or taste anything. And from this, I think I'm on to something. It's a great diet plan. I have no cravings for food. I cannot taste ANYTHING so eating just doesn't sound fun. And actually, salty foods burn my tongue and throat (hoping this is normal ???).
I'll have to look into developing a pill that takes away 2 of your senses for weight loss- ha

Well here's a picture from yesterday right after I got the packing out. (The tinting on my face makes me laugh, I am now a nice shade of mustard yellow.)
I also dropped my wonderful mother off at the airport this morning. It was awful. She's really done an amazing job keeping me busy and positive these last 7 days. The minute we got home from the airport it started raining and has been sorta lonely and depressing without her, but I'm sooo happy for the time I got with her! Nothing like having a mom who is a nurse around. My hubby Jeff has also been wonderful! Although, I got really worried and googled for almost an hour to see if laughing too hard will make my nose break again after surgery! He's almost impossible to be around and not laugh. All and all, this experience has not been too bad. And I'm just so glad I can now get on with the rest of my life :)

4 comments:

  1. You look so much peppier (is that a word?) than in the previous pictures! It looks like you are healing wonderfully! I hope everything is going good with you these days...it's been forever since I've seen you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, the burning is normal!! You look great though after only a week or so!!

    ReplyDelete